The default ecryptfs-private settings aren’t quite what I want; they mount automatically on login and invoke some kind of system-magic I don’t understand to hide the encrypted files. Turns out that setting up encrypted directories is pretty darn easy, once you dig through enough of the man pages.

mkdir ~/private chmod 700 ~/private # Cmnd alias specification Cmnd_Alias MOUNTPRIVATE = /bin/mount /path/to/private /path/to/private -t \ ecryptfs -o key\=passphrase\,ecryptfs_cipher\=aes\,ecryptfs_key_bytes\=24\,\ ecryptfs_passthrough\=no\,ecryptfs_enable_filename_crypto\=yes\,\ no_sig_cache\=yes Cmnd_Alias UMOUNTPRIVATE = /bin/umount /path/to/private # Your username goes here, obviously aphyr ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:MOUNTPRIVATE, UMOUNTPRIVATE
$ adb devices List of devices attached ???????????? no permissions

A few things have changed since the Android docs were written. If you want to talk to your Motorola Droid via ADB in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic, I recommend the following udev rule.

# /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="22b8", SYMLINK+="android_adb", MODE="0666" GROUP="plugdev"

Here’s what I did to get the Macbook Pro (rev 3,1) running smoothly under Ubuntu 9.04.

Turn on the nvidia drivers with jockey-gtk (the hardware drivers manager).

Add the keys for the mactel PPA:

It looks like there's a catastrophic memory leak in the Rails app I wrote last summer, and in trying to track it down, I needed a way to look at process memory use over time. So, I put together this little library, LinuxProcess, which uses the proc filesystem to make it easier to monitor processes with Ruby. Enjoy!

Added ATOM feeds for journals, photographs, and a combined feed. Also added EXIF support to photographs, such that files with EXIF headers (those from about the last year or so) display some shot information as well.

Also, I caught bash programmable completion completing paths on remote servers over SSH. I was copying a file from the laptop to the server, hit tab to complete the directory on the server side… and it worked. That was quite surprising, when I realized that my ordinarily useless request had actually been carried out. Hurrah for bash making my life easier.

Had significant confusion yesterday night, when the tested and (so I thought) working code from the development machine threw strange exceptions on aphyr.com itself. The box claimed NoMethodError for Rational.reduce and Rational.to_f, both of which were quite clearly part of the standard library. Eventually realized that this was due to my custom Rational class, which has a very different interface from the standard library’s version. Changed RUBYLIB to not load my custom libraries, and it worked.

Copyright © 2017 Kyle Kingsbury.
Non-commercial re-use with attribution encouraged; all other rights reserved.
Comments are the property of respective posters.